When our Forefathers framed the Declaration and Constitution, Sir William Blackstone’s legal commentaries were their preeminent legal reference. Blackstone wrote:
Upon these two foundations, the law of nature and the law of revelation, depend all human laws; that is to say, no human laws should be suffered to contradict … The revealed law… of infinitely more authenticity than that moral system… denominated [by] the natural law… The doctrines thus delivered we call the revealed or divine law, and they are to be found only in the Holy Scriptures. (Blackstone’s Commentaries, Part 2, The Nature of Laws in General
Nations that obey God’s moral law are blessed (see Dt 28, all
). Sadly, our Supreme Court and many of our federal courts have departed from the Constitution and from protecting the God-given, fundamental, self-evident rights our Founders declared governments were instituted to protect: equality (equal protection under law), life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Most SCOTUS appointees rise from our federal courts.
President Trump has promised to appoint Supreme Court Justices who are “originalist jurists,” men and women who will interpret the Constitution the way our Founders intended and not according to their own feelings or changing morals of modern culture.
Points for Prayer:
- Pray daily that God will guide President Trump in all of his decisions, but especially his possible appointment of one or two more new lifetime Supreme Court Justices during his tenure in office (Pr 29:2)
- May each appointee be not only knowledgeable and committed to the original meaning of the words of the Constitution, but also have a God-given moral compass that comes from the knowledge of God’s Word.
- May God help our new President choose, and the U.S. Senate to confirm, jurists who will render righteous judgments and serve our nation with reverence for the Lord.
- May they understand that their robes identify them as “ministers of God” who must give account to the Supreme Judge of all the World for their stewardship (Rom 1:4-13;14:12;1 Cor 4:2).
- May each firmly understand that it is their responsibility not to define, but to protect the God-given, unalienable rights of Americans, including the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness (which our Forefathers interpreted to mean rights to private property).
By Pierre Bynum
Family Research Council
See FRC’s Issue Analysis
: “Filling Justice Scalia’s Seat and Beyond.”