North Korea has an estimated 20 to 30 nukes and has been developing its ballistic missile capabilities in order to threaten America’s allies in the Northeast, as well as our homeland. In spite of the recent summit between President Trump and Chairman Kim, the North Koreans have not proceeded to implement denuclearization as they agreed they would. Military action could still be on the table. North Korea’s nuclear weapons and missile programs are still dangerous to the U.S. and the security environment in East Asia. North Korea also has exported ballistic missiles and related material to several countries, including Iran and Syria, which increase the danger of nuclear proliferation.
In the Middle East, Iran, led by its fanatical Islamic mullahs, has been called “the most destabilizing element” in the region and “clearly a malign influence” by General Dunford, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Iran has supported the Houthi rebels in Yemen and Hezbollah in Lebanon, as well as deepened its involvement and influence in Syria and Iraq. Iran wants to improve its nuclear and missile capabilities and has made progress in some areas, leading to the conclusion that it has the capacity to produce nuclear weapons. To Iran, the U.S. is the “great Satan,” and they have not disguised their long- term desire to destroy our nation if they can, as they often chant “Death to America.”
Points for Prayer:
- Let’s pray for a peaceful solution to the North Korean threat to regional and world peace and that the North Korean regime will now implement the agreement to denuclearize the nation quickly and in a verifiable manner.
- Pray that China will continue to play a moderating influence on Kim Jong Un and his government and that they will cooperate with the rest of the world in maintaining economic sanctions until North Korea gives up its nukes and missile programs.
- Pray for reform and regime change in both North Korea and Iran, so war can be averted with both of these nations.
- Pray for Iran to quit meddling in other nations in the Middle East region and to give up its role as the world’s most significant state sponsor and exporter of terrorism.
- Pray that religious and political freedom will be established in both of these extremely repressive nations, so their citizens may be liberated and blessed, even becoming friends of our country.
By John Robb
Co-Convener, National Prayer Assembly
Chairman, International Prayer Council