Has secular media become such a part of our mental and spiritual landscape that we do not recognize the impact it is having on our nation? Are we afraid its powerful influence is too big to overcome? In 1 Samuel 17, we read how David was not afraid to confront giants when those giants were opposed to God and His people. Goliath’s greatest weapon was not so much his size or strength. In fact, King Saul and the Israelite army hadn’t gone near enough to test the giant’s military prowess. They were sitting on the hillside frightened, discouraged, and on the verge of defeat, simply because of Goliath’s big mouth! David had little, if any, experience on the battlefield, but he had developed some faith-filled strategies in the school of prayer and worship. He didn’t know much about Goliath, but he had become well acquainted with the Lord of Hosts.
God’s servant confronted the taunting Philistine in the name of the Lord Almighty and with a declaration of truth. Then the shepherd boy slung a stone, striking Goliath in the forehead and causing him to fall face down on the ground. It’s pretty difficult to shout lies with a mouth full of sandy dirt! By the way, the frontal lobe of the brain just happens to be the “control panel” of our personality and our ability to communicate. Although we are told the stone killed the Philistine, David didn’t stop halfway. He used the opposition’s own sword to cut off his head, showing God’s authority over the mind. This was a giant faith builder! Goliath would never taunt God’s people or defy the Holy One of Israel ever again! What are some effective prayer strategies that we can use against the giants of media?
Points for Prayer:
- Ask God to position His servants in media and empower them to faithfully walk in integrity and humility. Pray they will be filled with knowledge, wisdom and understanding that comes from God. Pray they will not use their words carelessly, but their tongues will bring forth life (Proverbs 11; 18:21; Romans 10:14,15).
- Pray that deception and ungodly philosophies in our media will be exposed and not allowed to infiltrate and infect the church. Decree and declare that the light of Truth will dispel the darkness
- Thank God for placing His Spirit upon the leaders He has placed in the media and that He has placed His Word on their tongue
(2 Samuel 23:2-4).
- Ask and believe that God-called media leaders will be bold, fearless, and unafraid to expose the truth about terrorist and jihadist threats to our government. Pray they will be willing to refute every evil word spoken against Jesus followers and will be unashamed of the gospel (Jeremiah 1:9-10; Isaiah 54:17; Romans 1:16).
- Pray that God will strategically position heralds of peace who will bring good news and proclaim salvation to the nations (Isaiah 52:7).
- Wait before the Lord for further direction from the Holy Spirit and remember to thank God for hearing and answering our prayers. “This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us-whatever we ask-we know that we have what we asked of him”
(1 John 5:14,15).
By Kay Horner
Awakening America Alliance