Examples of the Authority of Jesus over Natural Forces
There are so many amazing and supernatural acts of Jesus, revealing and confirming his Messianic credentials, and the coming of God’s kingdom. The miracles of the Messiah are to be seen as an integral part of his ministry, then and now.
The Greek word for miracle is δύναμις dunamis, doo´-nam-is. Think of the power of dynamite. It is stunning and amazing power, i.e. the power of the Holy Spirit from God the Father.
What is the greatest miracle?
The greatest miracle is the resurrection of Jesus to an incorruptible body and His ascension to heaven. Jesus was a walking, talking miracle machine. Everywhere He turned, people came in faith to be healed.
Frequently the religious leaders asked for a sign (aka miracle) from Jesus. His answer was they would only get the sign of Jonah. 3 days of death and then the resurrection.
Now that is a big deal and a stunning sign! And He did it. Jesus poured out His blood, died, was buried and then rose again after 3 days. Jesus told the religious leaders who wanted a sign “An evil and adulterous generation craves for a sign.”
So what about today?
Are miracles, signs and wonders still happening? Some say that they ceased after the demise of the Apostles. My opinion is yes, they still happen. I have personally experienced the healing power of Jesus as have countless others. Jesus promised “These signs will accompany those who have believed: in My name they will cast out demons, they will speak with new tongues; they will pick up serpents, and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.” And again the Apostle Paul says to the church in Corinthians “and to another the effecting of miracles, and to another prophecy, and to another the distinguishing of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues.” And again Paul says to the same church “God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues. All are not apostles, are they? All are not prophets, are they? All are not teachers, are they? All are not workers of miracles, are they?”
Let’s dig into the scriptures.
Examples of the authority of Jesus over natural forces
Jesus performed every kind of miracle you can imagine, including raising the dead. Here are some examples of His authority over natural forces. Indeed, what kind of man is this? The answer, a man who is the Son of the living God! Jesus performed stunning miracles.
- Matthew 8:27 (NASB) — The men were amazed, and said, “What kind of a man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?”
- Matthew 14:19–20 (NASB) — Ordering the people to sit down on the grass, He took the five loaves and the two fish, and looking up toward heaven, He blessed the food, and breaking the loaves He gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the crowds, and they all ate and were satisfied. They picked up what was left over of the broken pieces, twelve full baskets.
- Matthew 14:25 (NASB) — And in the fourth watch of the night He came to them, walking on the sea.
- Matthew 17:27 (NASB) — “However, so that we do not offend them, go to the sea and throw in a hook, and take the first fish that comes up; and when you open its mouth, you will find a shekel. Take that and give it to them for you and Me.”
- Luke 5:4 (NASB) — When He had finished speaking, He said to Simon, “Put out into the deep water and let down your nets for a catch.” When they had done this, they enclosed a great quantity of fish, and their nets began to break.
- John 2:9 (NASB) — When the headwaiter tasted the water which had become wine, and did not know where it came from (but the servants who had drawn the water knew), the headwaiter called the bridegroom.
If you would like to donate to the Christian Training Center, please click here.
Check out our upcoming ministry programs for young adults and families. Please click here.
Our programs are like an immersion into a new language – the language of living in Jesus. The goal is fluency in the language of relationships. Programs share a sequential vision, building an understanding of relationships and family culture. The foundation is an encounter with Jesus. This encounter is the means for both insight and vision. Encountering Jesus leads a radical change in living and relationships.
Heroes Semester is a 10-week residential, “family style” living experience like no other! | — Sept 2 – Nov 9, 2019 | Participants ages 18-26 come with one purpose – to go deeper with the Lord. ow.ly/Nhag30oRYRK
Strengthening & Restoring Family Relationships — Train to Reign Program — Oct 20 – Nov 2 | Family is the most vital relationship and the one under the most pressure and attack. Come strengthen your family in a strong relationship with God. http://ow.ly/l5SU30oS5pQ