What is love? Is the God of the Old Testament a grumpy old man?
Somehow, we have this image of God, from the Old Testament, as an angry old man. Grumpy to the core. Perhaps it is the “flood narrative” and other stories.
God is God. Justice will be done. You can see this in the new agreement narratives of Jesus as well.
But, God is good. God is in a good mood. God loves us. Let us not doubt that for a second.
God loves us with an everlasting love. God never gives up. God is like the energizer bunny when it comes to love.
This is hard to get but God is slow to anger. Imagine waiting thousands of years for something to happen.
God has an agreement with us. It is both the old and new covenant. They are both a covenant (agreement) of love. Now how good is that?
- Jeremiah 31:3 — 3 The Master appeared to him from afar, saying, “I have loved you with an everlasting love; Therefore I have drawn you with lovingkindness.
- Exodus 15:13 — 13 “In Your lovingkindness You have led the people whom You have redeemed; In Your strength You have guided them to Your holy habitation.
- Exodus 34:6 — 6 Then the Master passed by in front of him and proclaimed, “The Master, the Master God, compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in lovingkindness and truth;
- 2 Chronicles 6:42 — 42 “O Master God, do not turn away the face of Your anointed; remember Your lovingkindness to Your servant David.”
- Psalm 6:4 — 4 Return, O Master, rescue my soul; Save me because of Your lovingkindness.
- Psalm 32:10 — 10 Many are the sorrows of the wicked, But he who trusts in the Master, lovingkindness shall surround him.
- Psalm 51:1 — 1 Be gracious to me, O God, according to Your lovingkindness; According to the greatness of Your compassion blot out my transgressions.
- Psalm 107:43 — 43 Who is wise? Let him give heed to these things And consider the loving kindnesses of the Master.
- Isaiah 54:10 — 10 “For the mountains may be removed and the hills may shake, But My lovingkindness will not be removed from you, And My covenant of peace will not be shaken,” Says the Master who has compassion on you.
- Isaiah 63:7 — 7 I shall make mention of the loving kindnesses of the Master, the praises of the Master, According to all that the Master has granted us, And the great goodness toward the house of Israel, Which He has granted them according to His compassion And according to the abundance of His loving kindnesses.
- Lamentations 3:22 — 22 The Master’s loving kindnesses indeed never cease, For His compassions never fail.
- Hosea 2:19 — 19 “I will betroth you to Me forever; Yes, I will betroth you to Me in righteousness and in justice, In lovingkindness and in compassion.
Backlot BBQ & Movie
Come join us for our Backlot Barbecue Event at the Smoky Mountain Center for the Performing Arts on October 5, 2019. Learn more here.
Your ticket includes a delicious BBQ sandwich meal, a donut roast over an open fire, fun and games. Bring a lawn chair or blanket to enjoy DreamWorks “Madagascar” under the stars. All proceeds go to missions around the world.
DATES / TIMES:
Saturday, October 5, 2019
6:30pm – 8pm: Food, Games & Donut Roast
8pm: Outdoor movie featuring DreamWorks “Madagascar”
*BRING YOUR OWN CHAIR*
Learn more here.