Is Jesus the final authority? Where does His authority come from?
What gives Jesus the right to speak and act on his Father’s behalf in forgiving sin, pronouncing judgment and promising eternal life to those who believe in him?
Jesus is the Son of our Heavenly Father, God. God is God. God gives His son authority. That is the way in the Kingdom of God.
God doesn’t place any limits on what Jesus can do. God completely trusts Jesus to faithfully execute God’s plan. Now that is really something.
Jesus’ authority underlines his divine status
John 8:28 (NASB) — So Jesus said, “When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am He, and I do nothing on My own initiative, but I speak these things as the Father taught Me.”
Jesus declares that He is, from the beginning of time, just like God is the great “I am”.
John 8:58 (NASB) — Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am.”
The only way I can get to God is through Jesus. That is it. PERIOD!
- John 14:6 (NASB) — Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.”
- 1 Corinthians 1:24 (NASB) — but to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, the Messiah is the power of God and the wisdom of God.
- Colossians 2:10 (NASB) — and in Him you have been made complete, and He is the head over all rule and authority;
The authority of Jesus is given by God the Father
Authority comes from God. God has given everything to his Son Jesus, the only heir to God’s universe.
- John 3:35 (NASB) — “The Father loves the Son and has given all things into His hand.”
- Matthew 28:18 (NASB) — And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.”
God has given to Jesus everything. That is stunning!
Luke 10:22 (NASB) — “All things have been handed over to Me by My Father, and no one knows who the Son is except the Father, and who the Father is except the Son, and anyone to whom the Son wills to reveal Him.”
Jesus will execute God’s justice and judgement.
John 5:26–27 (NASB) — “For just as the Father has life in Himself, even so He gave to the Son also to have life in Himself; and He gave Him authority to execute judgment, because He is the Son of Man.”
Jesus is clear that what He is teaching is straight from God.
- John 7:16 (NASB) — So Jesus answered them and said, “My teaching is not Mine, but His who sent Me.”
- John 12:49–50 (NASB) — “For I did not speak on My own initiative, but the Father Himself who sent Me has given Me a commandment as to what to say and what to speak. I know that His commandment is eternal life; therefore the things I speak, I speak just as the Father has told Me.”
Jesus’ authority is so expansive, even His own death was in His hands.
John 10:18 (NASB) — “No one has taken it away from Me, but I lay it down on My own initiative. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This commandment I received from My Father.”
God has put decisions about eternal life into the hands of Jesus. God trusts His son absolutely.
John 17:2 (NASB) — “Even as You gave Him authority over all flesh, that to all whom You have given Him, He may give eternal life.“
About the Christian Training Center
There is power in prayer. We see it every day. Let us join with you in tapping into the Power of God. Click here to make a request.
The Christian Training Center International was founded in the early 1970’s as The Inn of the Last Resort. It is now known throughout the world for its outreach to families, Christian leaders, and young people. Our focus is to enable individuals – especially young men and women – to face and overcome the mounting issues and pressures in their daily lives. Learn more here.
Our programs are like an immersion into a new language – the language of living in Jesus. The goal is fluency in the language of relationships. The foundation is an encounter with Jesus that leads to a radical change in living and relationships. Learn more here.