Why couldn’t Jesus do anything of His own initiative?
Jesus is completely obedient to the will of His Father. 24/7 it is all about what does God want right now. We must think radically different about how Jesus can help us understand God’s will.
I have a lot to learn about obedience. I have a great teacher in Jesus the Messiah. Will I allow Him to lead me?
Now this is some good news. Jesus is my model and guide in all of this.
- “I can do nothing on My own initiative. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is just, because I do not seek My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me.” | John 5:30
- I need to learn how to seek God’s will. Jesus teaches me to pray, “Your Kingdom come, Your will be done.”
- “The Sovereign Master has opened my ears; I have not been rebellious, I have not turned away. I offered my back to those who beat me” (Isaiah 50:5–6).
- “For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me.” John 6:38
- In every situation, no matter how difficult, will I be obedient to the Father? Will I lean in to know what He wants?
- Will I depend on the power of the Holy Spirit and not my own devices?
Jesus “learned obedience” not in the sense that He was prone to disobedience and had to bring rebelliousness under control, but in the sense that He fully entered the human experience.
- As a child, He obeyed His parents (Luke 2:51).
- As an adult, He obeyed the Law (Matthew 5:17).
- As a son, He fulfilled all righteousness (Matthew 3:15).
“Then I said, ‘Behold, I have come (In the scroll of the book it is written of Me) To do Your will, O God.’ ” Hebrews 10:7
All His life, Jesus completely fulfilled the Father’s will (John 8:29; 15:10; Hebrews 10:9). He knew what obedience was prior to His incarnation, of course, but He “learned” obedience on earth by experiencing it.
There is power in prayer. At the Christian Training Center International, we see it every day. Let us join with you in tapping into the Power of God. Click here to make a request.
Leadership the Jesus: A Faith at work series — Looking how to focus your faith at work? | This series of leadership programs focuses on leadership skills that drive the purpose and passion for work as laid out by Jesus and based on sound scripture. We might see faith and work as estranged. It can be frustrating. But, in truth, faith and work should share a crucial aim: to see the unseen at work through the power of the Holy Spirit. Nothing new has been made without faith in God. Nothing unseen has been seen without work. When the force of what we do hits why we do it, we wither, or we flourish. Learn more here.
Check out our upcoming ministry programs for young adults and families. Please click here.
Our programs are like an immersion into a new language – the language of living in Jesus. The goal is fluency in the language of relationships. The foundation is an encounter with Jesus that leads to a radical change in living and relationships.
Heroes Semester is a 10-week residential, “family style” living experience like no other! | Participants ages 18-26 come with one purpose – to go deeper with the Lord. Learn more about our programs here.
Strengthening & Restoring Family Relationships — Train to Reign Program | Family is the most vital relationship and the one under the most pressure and attack. Come strengthen your family in a strong relationship with God. Learn more here.
If you would like to donate to the Christian Training Center, please click here.